Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Buff Bagwell Was A No-show, But Marty Jannetty Was A Show Stopper!

The first Time I saw Marty Jannetty wrestle live was in a tiny little auction barn turned temporary arena, halfway between Chipley and Panama City on a windy, rainy Saturday afternoon. The ring arrived late, about half the crowd had gone home and the remaining fans were restless and bored from everything that had gone wrong that afternoon.

When the very late and very lost ring arrived from Mobile, fans stepped out of the audience to serve as ring slingers. Many people pitched in to kick that show into gear, and the most cheerful of them all was the star of the show, Marty Jannetty.

Everything that could go wrong went wrong that evening. There were still antiques left over from a previous auction. The building made Mossy Head look like a dirigible hanger. Other than Black Sheep Danny Roland, I couldn't for love or money tell you who else wrestled that night.

But Marty was there - and he lit up that dreary, musty, roof-leaking little shack with the dignity and demeanor of a professional wrestler, a true professional.

True, his WWE days were behind him. True, some of his demons had a grip on him. But even near his worst, Marty was at his best. He greeted me pleasantly - no, enthusiastically. My table was between the dressing room entrance and the ring. He made me feel like his part of the show was just for me.

I know, I know. That's his job, right? Wrong. His job is to show up and wrestle, to win or lose against the local heel. I get that. But what I also got was that he just purely, absolutely loved it that he was wrestling.

That's why they call me a mark, mmmkay? I am a mark for Marty Jannetty and he's earned every ounce of energy I have expended being his fan.

Fast forward to SWA, Crestview, Florida, may 25th 2009. Buff Bagwell is on the card, slated to go against Mr. Fantasy. I've seen these two go at it like lumberjacks dating the same lumberjill. They are awesome to watch and a draw for me every time. Sure, Buff's a little sold on Buff, but hey, that's his character.

Thing is, Buff was a no-show.

Rumor has it that he accepted an extra grand on a doublebook and kicked Crestview to the curb. Ah, well no Buff. The crowd booed a little at the announcement but it was half-hearted, like it was expected or it was no big deal. Then came the announcement that Marty Jannetty would be taking Buff's place. Now that may be worded wrong because Marty and Buff are different wrestlers entirely, and I may no be being fair.

Whichever, the crowd went floor stomping nuts for Marty and in an instant, Bicep Buff, strutting his stuff faded into the air like so much fog in the sun.

Suddenly, there came Marty, out among the 330+ fans, all eager to reach out and touch him. No kid went unhugged. No mom went unappreciated. For ten minutes or better, the whole of the Crestview Armory from soldiers to babies were unabashed Marty fans.

The match was classic Fantasy VS anybody. Marty jazzed it up though in a way Buff wouldn't have. Marty felt more like a Crestview Boy come-home from the WWE. He was every guy who ever dreamed about casting off the bonds of Wassau and flying to Chicago to take on the Undertaker. He wrestled flawlessly, but at the same time wrestled for each and every fan individually.

Marty knows Erick and Linda, apparently from shows long ago, well before my time. He greeted them after the event, during picture time, as though he'd just seen them last week. For Erick, who ended up with a signed Marty Tee shirt, and a posed picture, it was perfection come to visit.

Thing is, he remembered me, even though we had only chatted once or twice before he began his long absence from the Gulf Coast. He remembered me.

Of course, it is possible that he remembered the really big guy from that tiny little show in the auction barn, but I choose to believe that he remembered me for me. Call it suspension of disbelief, if you want to.

Because he remembered me, because I am his fan, and just because, I am going to plug the web site where his video is being sold. It is HERE Click on it.

Now you have a chance to see Marty Jannetty in person at the Chipley National Guard Armory this Friday, May 1st, along with Bullet Bob, Steve, The Nightmare, Wahoo McDaniel Jr, the really big and very jovial Mountain Man, Mr. Fantasy, Chris Tighe, Milo, Terry Ryker, DJ Pringle, The Magnificent Pedro, Dirty Larry Brock and Ryan Holland, plus many others, in a rip-roaring ceiling rattling hum-dinger of a "3rd Annual Chief Wahoo McDaniel Memorial Cup Tournament.

I know. It's a long ride from Pensacola, Mobile, Milton and all kinds of other places to get to Chipley. But this show is worth the effort and the gas. Marty Jannetty is worth the effort and the gas.

To tell you the truth, Ryker, Milo and Chris Tighe are worth the trip as are all others in this cast of true stars. These are the working wrestlers of today, of our area. Their gold and glory comes from fans like us in crowds 300 strong, cheering or booing our brains out.

They are Ryan Holland, at the start of the road, Mountain Man on the top of the hill, DJ Pringle, dodging the Devil at the Crossroad. . .

Or Marty Jannetty, who's been there and done that and shares himself with the least of us, to help keep wrestling going, where ever it might be.

I will see you there.

3 comments:

  1. Thanx Bob..that means the word to me!!! And, it was a pleasure seeing you again this past weekend!! I hope you wont mind that I posted this bolg of yours on a blog on my Myspace account..please stay in touch..take care and do well my brother, you are the best!! MJannetty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited all over again about marty jannetty.I was fortunate to attend two of his matches back in the 80's. I had the chance to meet him after one match,but shyness overwhelmed me and I all I could do was stand and stare. LOl.I did get his autograph,but what I really wanted,was to talk to him and ask him out on a date. I highly doubt he remembers me.Being one of many fans.

    So 20 something years ago,I had my marty rush.
    I hope one day he will be back on top where he belongs. I am feeling like a giddy young woman again. Rock on marty. Btw,this encounter with marty was at the cow palace in san fransisco. Maybe he can refresh his memory as to the young woman standing alone waiting for him. Some things are just not meant to be.

    ReplyDelete