Saturday, April 11, 2009

"The Book" - A work of love

One of the most fun projects of mine in recent years was this little book about I did about independent pro wrestling in our Gulf Coast area. Not exactly a hot topic for the New York Times best seller list, I published it myself using an online service based in Memphis Tennessee. I did the Typesetting, graphic design, photography (shared with "Lil Bub," "Bspidey," and Erick Turner ) and with the exception of a copied and transcribed Wickipedia piece on wrestling vocabulary, I wrote all the prose and poetry in the book.

I printed 100 of them in the first run and sold them at shows to recoup my printing and production cost investment. Two were destroyed by angry or misguided wrestlers, one of whom objected to the vocabulary piece and the other who thought it would be a "cool work" to rip it apart in front of an audience, ala "phone book" style.

Many were given to friends. A few were sold to fans. The project broke even on cost, which will allow me to do another one soon.

So that's another "me," author, publisher, and faux expert on things Gulf Coast Wrestling. You know what they say. "If you can't have fun, have beer and pretty soon you'll be having fun anyhow." I think Stone Cold Steve Fury said that.

No comments:

Post a Comment