Thursday, December 10, 2009

GAWF Rides Again or Another Video Slaps The Face

Not surprisingly, GAWF got its panties in a bunch over yesterday's comments about decertification.

Goins even posted yet another video about it.

So far, the GAWF booker has posted more videos about me than he has posted promos about GAWF. Nice to know I am so loved.

It's 9 in the morning here in Pensacola, and I pretty much didn't feel like dealing with another long, rambling video about how fat I am, or how I wheeze when I walk, or that I use a wheelchair to cover distances when I am away from the house. Physical imperfection seems to be an obsession where this wrestler is concerned, but hey, if all the perfect people in the world support GAWF, then their attendence will go up (by one or two or so).

Anyhow, I deleted Goins video without watching it. What do I care if this mope doesn't like me?

At least he reads my blog, and apparantly, my message board as well, it would seem.Hmm. Maybe he's MY fan.

Truthfully, I don't think Goins or Skipperman really understands the rules of this game.

You see, as a fan, I get to focus on any wrestler that attracts my attention. I can praise any babyface, the former Short Bandit, now known as Pitt Bull, for example; or Scarface Waylon Barley. I can boo any heel, make life miserible for Bobby Doll by photoshopping an image of him in his new gorgeous ring robe to suggest that he is now King of Vampires. I can complain that Brutal Joe Gibson is too brutal, or that Brian Cage is haughty. I can be so excited about The Invasion winning the Ultimate Tag Team Belts that I nearly blew a battery in my wheelchair.

That's what being a fan is all about. Responding to "the work" is a fan's job.

Wrestling companies routinely control their outgoing PR content. "Come to GAWF," a promo might read or say, "because the feud between Goins and so and so is heating up and there's going to be a hard beatdown this weekend in Hosford!"

As a fan, that's what I want to hear. "Wrestler A VS Wrestler B was a killer match right up until the time that Goins hit B with a chair shot in a cheap Pearl Harbor attack."

Wrestling; you know what I mean?

I have never claimed to be anything but a wrestling fan with a web site and an opinion. Not in all the years I have been associated with wrestling on the Gulf Coast. For some reason though, the GAWF seems obsessed with stating the obvious.

A clue, guys. I am a wrestling fan. Not a fan of GAWF's amateur hour videos, for sure, but a wrestling fan.

It happens also, that I am a fan with a web site. Go figure.

I display the latest posters from area promotions. I host a variety of message boards. I write a blog. I attend shows on the invitation of a given promoter and with permission (by the rules of the promotion) I set up a table that sells this and that. I am friends with virtually every promoter on this part of the coast and would do just about anything for a friend, including creating posters when needed or printing flyers or whatever my skills can provide that someone needs.

That's what fans and friends do.

I have said before, but it bears reiteration, I have been invited to GAWF on several occasions. It's just too bloody far! It's 176 miles, including some of the darkest, roughest back roads rural Panhandle Florida has to offer. I am 62 years old. Gimmie a break with the driving! Chipley or Dothan is just about my limit and even that's pretty dang far!

It wasn't personal that I turned down GAWF's invitation. And it sure as heck wasn't because, as Skipperman said in his video, " he wouldn't let me set up a table." It's simple economics. 1.5 tanks of gas @ 20 gallons per tank VS a night of wrestling in a remote place where I know very few of the wrestlers. Do the math. It doesn't compute for me in Pensaola.

Panama City, maybe . . .

And so it goes . . .

It's now 10:48 AM. Another voice has entered the conversation.

Baddlnbill- Bill Weaver asks a pertinent question on the GAWF message board. He says, "Does all these BS videos and posts add one more seat filled at a GAWF show?"

The short answer is, "Nope."

Bill's post is the most intelligent thing that has appeared on the GAWF message board since the original Goins video dropped the "F" bomb.

Mister Weaver continues, "Thats my question. Have I pissed anybody off? I have no clue. Dont really care."

He hasn't pissed anybody off. He shouldn't care. He is a wrestler with promos to cut and wrestlers to wrestle, belts to win. He is focused. I admire that.

He says, " I have been in and around this Business for over 15 years. I have promoted shows for over 5 years of that time. My job then and my job now is to put butts every 18 inches in the GAWF Hosford Arena."

See? Focus. I will drive to see him wrestle if he gets a little closer so I can afford the gas.

"Most everyone that comes to the GAWF arena has no clue who any of these people are."

Well, they know Goins but could care less about me. I'm not a wrestler. No need for 'em to do.

"I have a hard enough time getting them to know me and what story I am trying to sell. Lets get to the business of filling up the GAWF Arena."

The voice of common sense, Baddlnbill- Bill Weaver advocates wrestling and selling tickets and going forward with the business of wrestling. No BS - just straightforward cut the crap, guys.

I like the message. It doesn't say, Bob, you're an idiot, or Goins, you should not drop "F" bombs or do yellow promos, both of which are truisms. he simply says, enough of play time. Let's get back to business.

Great idea.

Bill wraps up by saying, "If i am missing something and someone can tell me how this BS is filling seats i want to know. The story i am trying to sell is the Brawl for it All, No DQ, No Countout, Falls count anywhere on the property. Thats what happens this "next show" at the GAWF Arena this Saturday Night December 12th. Baddln Bill Weaver vs Curt "The Hustler" Nichols"

You know, I am tempted to drive the 176 miles just to see this honest man take apart his opponent piece by piece.

Now that's wrestling.